Monday, July 12, 2010

The Book of the Dead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Rating 3/5

A standard mystery-thriller wrapped in Egyptian heiroglyphic paper. It starts off extremely slow and very gradually builds up steam. About 1/3 of the way through I realized this book was part of a series, and I think I would've enjoyed it more if I'd read the preceding books - there were a whole lot of characters introduced right away, which was confusing, and a lot of them had interconnected backgrounds that were mentioned but not fully explained. This took away from my connection to the characters. In addition, I was hoping for more Egyptian history and mythology, but in truth the subject was incidental to the plot - an Egyptian tomb was just the place where the authors decided to host the events of the story. Although the build up was very gradual, the pace eventually quickened and I found myself extremely interested in what happened next. Despite my lack of enthusiasm for murder mysteries, I may read the rest of the series, since some of the characters are quite intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment