Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Pain Chronicles: Cures, Myths, Mysteries, Prayers, Diaries, Brain Scans, Healing, and the Science of Suffering by Melanie Thernstrom

Rating: 3/5

I read a few reviews before I started this book, and I thought I would like it more. It has 3 aspects - memoir, history and science/technical - all mashed up together. A lot of people complained about this, but I think it was necessary to make the book readable. The technical/science writing was so dull I found myself spacing out a lot, and needed the memoir and history parts to pull my attention back. As a person with chronic pain, sometimes the information in this book made me feel so hopeless I had to put it down. That's not the author's fault, though. The truth is, we are very far away from effective treatment for most chronic pain cases, and it's possible there is no answer at all. That's pretty depressing. The fact that I finished this book at all proves it has some merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment