Friday, November 2, 2012

Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) by Neal Shusterman

Rating 3/5

Everlost was shelved in the Young Adult section of my library, but to me it felt like a children's book. Yes, the main characters were 15, but they could've just as easily been twelve. Yes, the world of Everlost is a bit spooky, but so is Scooby-doo. I would say this is a book for kids aged 10-14. The writing style was quite juvenile. That's not a criticism, I think kids need creative books like this. I just think I'm too old to really get much out of them. Age-appropriateness aside, I found it difficult to get into this story, which didn't really pick up until the last third or so. I didn't find any of the characters especially compelling until introduced to the McGill, who is a worthy, complex villain. I thought the way things wrapped up at the end was very satisfying, while leaving a lot of room for further developments. I'm undecided about reading the other books in this series. It's a well-written, if slow-developing, children's book, and I haven't been a child for a long long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment