Saturday, January 5, 2013

UR by Stephen King

Rating: 4/5

I don't know whether it was Stephen King's idea to write about a Kindle or if Amazon paid him a lot of money, but after the first chapter I felt like UR was to be an extended advertisement, drilling the words "Kindle" and "Amazon" into your head. Which would be stupid, since the only way you can read this book is if you already own a Kindle (or can sneak it on to another ereader - cough). But it actually turned out to be a really good story. I got giddy imagining having access to books written by my favorite authors in alternate universes (more Jane Austen? Whee!) This story got all alien-y at the end, and referenced the mysterious dark tower (I haven't read that series yet), but King tends to do that (Under The Dome, anyone?) and it didn't bother me. Probably not in my top five King short stories, but I enjoyed it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment