Sunday, April 28, 2013

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon Live Updates

Dewey's Readathon April 2013

Live updates:

8:00 - WE DID IT! 


Final Page count: 616

Congrats to everybody who participated and a huge thank you to everyone who volunteered. Such fun :)

7:21 - Final hour! Here are my answers to the End of Event Meme questions
I will be updating with my final page count at 8 a.m. sharp, though I'm having difficulty actually reading now, and have been spending most of my time just trying to stay awake!

6:46

6:16 - Page Count 565 - I'm dyin' ova here! Last ditch effort to stay awake, taking the dog for a walk. It's light enough out now. Then, one more coffee. Not sure I'm going to make it. :(
Skipped the last two challenges, they were too tough for me!

5:25 - Page Count: 545

Time to wash my hair, maybe it'll wake me up for the final stretch. I already broke out the chocolate....

4:11 - Changing books to Forbidden by Kelley Armstrong. My current book is a bit dry for sleepy reading!

Mini-Challenge #20 - Mad-Lib:

I read, pleased with myself. Then I grooved to the other side of the cupboard. As promised, I was downwind of him, where he couldn't tickle me. I slumped in to wait, head on my cookie, pantaloons curled around me. Inside the yacht, I could hear Clay smacking up. I could punch him, too, sneaky fur bright through the band-aid.
Page Count: 475

3:12 - Mini-Challenge #20 - Haiku:

To marry a Duke,

Marquess, Earl, or a Viscount,

Have lots of money.



- inspired by To Marry an English Lord, by Gail MacColl and Carol McD. Wallace



Page Count: 426

2:37 - I needed some inspiration, so I opened a fortune cookie (picture on right). Does it mean I should take a nap or complete the readathon?! Both would be pleasing...


Not much progress on the actual reading this hour. 

1:30 - I. AM. STILL. HERE. I'm shocked my own self. I spent the past 2 hours in the bathtub and finished Fox Forever.

Challenge 18: Cover Me complete, well, half of it anyway, answered on the host's blog. I'm not doing the second option, because I don't keep up with new releases much, other than series I'm following.

Page count - 410

Next book: To Marry an English Lord by Gail MacColl and Caroline McD. Wallace. (pictured on the left) Starting page: 142. I have my doubts about being able to stay awake reading this one. I like it, and it's interesting, but choppy and not so much with the engrossing qualities. Also - TIRED.

12:12 - Challenge #17: 6 words in celebration of Dewey's Readathon: Bleary eyes, blurry words. Worth it.

Page count: 357

11:08 - MOAR COFFEE! 

Challenge #16: Turn the Page - "I would rather read than get in good with his daughter and her friends so I'm invited over any day!"

Page Count: 326

Heading to the bathtub right now. Hopefully the coffee will counteract its sleepy effect.

10:26 - Challenge 15: Casting Couch. Short answer - I would cast Rachel McAdams & Diane Lane to play Kim/Patricia at various ages in All of Me. Click the link above to see pics & find out why! 

Page Count: 300

I'm about to migrate to reading in the bathtub at any minute! This recliner is comfy, but I've been in it for 14 hours. Can't believe I'm still awake at all.

9:34 - Challenge 14: Share a quote complete. I included background information and a video about Kim Noble to explain why I chose the particular quote. 

Page Count: 284

8:37 - Challenge 13: I left my answer in the comments on the host's blog. Short answer: Secret Life of Beans by Sue Mung Kidd. I kinda did it wrong, because my brain is becoming noticeably fried. I hope I'm still eligible :/ A little bummed I haven't won anything yet, since there's so many prizes and I've entered most of the challenges, but there's still a long way to go if I can stay awake!

Page Count: 268

7:20 - My responses to the Mid-Event Survey (Challenge #12). Next book on the docket is Fox Forever (Jenna Fox Chronicles #3) by Mary E. Pearson (pictured on the left). Starting page: 117.

6:59 - Just finished All of Me by Kim Noble. It was really an amazing story. DID is fascinating, and Patricia's ordeal was terrifying, heart-breaking and ultimately triumphant.  I'll be writing a review next week. ;)
Page Count: 239

6: 29 - Okay so I went back and did Challege #9: Clearing the Cobwebs, because I needed to stretch! 

6:04 - Hour 11! To the right is my picture for Challenge #11, which is my comfy recliner with handknitted lap blanket, and my book, All of Me by Kim Noble.

Page Count: 230


5:04 - Skipped Challenge 9 (until later, maybe) and 10 (I can identify about 4 of 17 book covers, obviously that's not good enough to win!) 
Page count: 189 - Almost done All of Me!
I'll be needing another coffee soon....
Had some trouble with my blog post for the Book Puzzle challenge, apparently the first picture (of four) wasn't showing up, but I think it's fixed now, so if by chance you visited that page and couldn't figure it out, try again with the extra clue, I think it'll be easier!

Page count: 146

2:05 - so I've decided to skip Challenge 7, since all the books I'm reading have only one or two covers to choose from, being new-ish. I also spent the last half-hour visiting other people's book puzzles and need to get back to reading!!

Lunch: Sesame chicken, vegetables with almonds on
steamed rice, spring roll. 
1:31 - Just had lunch - pictured on the left -YUM, and completed the Book Puzzle Challenge. Can you guess the title of the book? 
Page Count: 93 (Dismal, I know)


12:32 - Mini-Challenge #5 Complete in which I take the liberty of using a stand-in for the required "selfie". 
Page Tally - 71
I had to take a break to wash my hair and order lunch. 

11:13 - Mini-Challenge #4 Complete in which I rename my current book, not so cleverly.
Page Tally - 40 (I know, terrible. But the challenges are taking up so much time!)

10:27 - Mini-Challenge #3 Complete!  A menu fit for the Earl of Grantham.


9:38 - 

Reading: All of Me: How I Learned to Live with the Many Personalities Sharing My Body by Kim Noble
Start Page: 120










9:22 - Just finished Mini-Challenge #2, here's the blog post: Book Spine Poetry, and here's the result! 


 What a fun thing to do!

Dog did not appreciate having her morning walk rushed! Now time for coffee and oatmeal...hopefully I will finally be able to read before 10 a.m. LOL

8:40 - okay okay, did the Introductory Questionnaire and visited a nice blog of a fellow 'thoner, but I still need to walk the dog and eat a quick breakfast before I can hit the books!

8:01 - uuurrrrrggggggghhh. I'm awake I'm awake....

Mini-challenge 1- Introductory Quiz Answers:
1. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada where it is still kind of winter :(
2. All of Me - Kim Noble
3. I don't have snacks planned, but I will probably be ordering Chinese food later.
4. I barely got any sleep last night :(
5. I participated in the readathon several years ago, and I don't remember enough about it to say I'll do anything differently this time!


Beginning at 8 a.m. I will be participating in Dewey's 24 hour readathon, which basically just means I'll be doing very little except reading and updating this blog about it for as long as I can until 8 a.m. Sunday morning. 


This is my second time participating. My previous attempt was several years ago when my health was much better, and it was a success - I managed to stay up and read for the whole 24 hours! I also won a lovely hard copy of The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova. 

I have wanted to participate in the bi-annual event since, but have hesitated because my health is so bad. However, I figure, why not give it a try again? I have a lot of books due back at the library on Monday, so I need to read them this weekend anyway :) 

On my reading list: 
All of Me by Kim Noble - memoir
To Marry an English Lord - non-fiction, history
Fox Forever by Mary E. Pearson - YA dystopia/scifi
Forbidden by Kelley Armstrong - Urban Fantasy

I've already started the first 3 in my list, and won't be counting previously read pages in my final tally. I also have some other back-up books if I get these finished. I will be updating this page once every 1-2 hours with page counts and activity logs. 

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. I propose Read-a-Thon Light, if you need to. I always do Read-a-Thon Light. When I get tired, I take breaks and when I need to, I sleep.

    Love to have you stop by, if you get a chance! <a href="http://www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com>Deb Nance at Readerbuzz</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, I definitely think naps will be happening! I didn't get to sleep last night until after 3 :(

      Delete
  2. That blanket is so wonderful! Handsewn?? I would fall asleep in that chair! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hand-knit, and thank you! I am getting a bit sleepy...but it's less comfy than my bed ;)

      Delete
  3. Great job. Congratulations on a great readathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you had as much fun as I did. :)

      Delete