Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Undead Pool (The Hollows #12) by Kim Harrison

The Undead Pool (The Hollows #12) by Kim Harrison
Rating: 2.5/5

I'm basically reading these out of habit now, and I was relieved to hear there's only going to be one more. Hints dropped at the end of Undead Pool point to the finale centering around the Rosewood Children. Anyway. After 300 pages of "OMG he touched me, I remember when we kissed, no, bad Rachel, but I love him, no I don't, oh yeah I'm trying to save the world here" ad nauseum interrupting the pace of the mediocre plot, we arrive at literally the only (spoiler) sex scene that has ever failed to even slightly arouse me. I know there's a huge Rachel/Trent faction out there, and I hope they are happy. I would rather dispense with the romance aspect of this series entirely, it's so repetitive. Harrison is very busy churning out books and you can tell. She puts very little effort into her grammar or making sure the readers can follow Rachel's thought sequences or understand what exactly is happening with the plot. And this lack of attention in turn makes me even more apathetic with each book in the series. The mystics thing was pretty original (to my knowledge) so I can give her credit for that much. Otherwise I can't see much to praise. All the characters are well-established and predictable and therefore rather uninteresting. Trent is the only one who seems to have changed much, Rachel is still as emotionally flabby as ever, and even Jenk's endearing stubborn loyalty is getting old. Double meh.

See my other ratings and review links of this series 

No comments:

Post a Comment